"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Normal what's that?

Student teaching has finished up as of this past Friday, hard to believe that 10 weeks has flown by so fast.   I truly will miss the kids that were in my classes and will miss being at South Newton HS.    I have accepted a teaching position and am getting ready for a crazy summer to come.   There will be 3 summer school courses at Purdue, a 2-wk PLTW training session over in the Urbana area, a crazy hunt for somewhere to rent in the vicinity of where I'll be teaching, and then moving before the end of July.   Will have two weeks to get moved into whatever I rent and get my classroom set up and ready to start teaching the middle of August.   Normal......I don't think so.............insanity is more what it seems like to me...lol.

I have the month of May technically out of classes, but have to get a good chunk of the work for the final class this summer finished up in addition to getting a lot done in preparation for my move.    Have started on the homework, but have to retrieve my jump drive (left it as SNHS this past Friday) before I can get it finished.   Ah well..........

Have started working hard on the commissioned sewing again, and took a few minutes to finish up three pincushions that started with itty-bitty, leftover half-square triangle blocks from a long-ago project.   these will all be used as gifts - perhaps for the Paying It Forward gifts that I owe.....need 5 (or was it 4?) for that....

Next up quilt wise is continuing to work on my quilt top for the Stretching Art Quilt Challenge 2012 that I'm in.     The quilt isn't due to the end of July - early August, but with everything going on I need to get it done this month.  Top is fused together, and next step is to baste everything together (backing, batting, top).   Then I'll start with the thread painting/quilting.   The theme for the challenge this year is "Foundations".   And I chose to go with the theme of 'foundations of education' with a nod to transitioning to a career as a tech ed teacher.   I used a rendition of the one-room school house in Strawberry Arizona that I found on the 'net as my inspiration for the piece.   Seemed fitting since I'll be teaching in a rural school, albeit not in a one room school house.

Gratitudes -
1. A good student teaching experience at SNHS.   Great teachers to work with, Great students in the classes.
2. The strength of God to get everything done that I have to do before the end of July.

4 comments:

Fran said...

LOVE those itty bitty pincushions.
Small pieces rock! LOL!
Great start on the art piece too.

Fran said...

Love those pincushions - the itty bitty blocks are so perfect for these.
Great start on the art quilt - now the fun part begins.

Deanna said...

Your pincushions look really nice. I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Your pincushions are so adorably cute. I can hardly wait to see what the stitching is that you've planned for this.

Maybe there will be a day in May when you can go up and do some preliminary looking at the town where you'll be living, talk to a realtor, or whatever.