"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Friday, September 20, 2013

Thinking about borders and color......

.....about what to add to one of the current quilts in progress.    I like how it's turning out so far, but still am not sure how to make it wider before adding a final border.   I do know that I want to use the two border strips that I cut off of the panel before squaring up the two panels.       I'm thinking that I might like to keep the asymmetrical look to it, but not sure about that either.

And I've been thinking about color and how I choose them for my quilts since reading a post by an online friend, Sophie, this week.     When I stopped to think about color and how I choose them in my work, I decided that I will typically find a focus print - fabric, picture, or some other means, and use that as a starting point for pulling additional fabrics and colors for my quilts.  Both of the quilt tops in the pictures here are examples of this.   The bears started "life" as a pillow panel that I'd stashed away many years ago, while the black and feathers started "life" as the leftover piece from a backing for a long ago finished quilt that I don't even remember now.   But what is common for both is that I'm using the prints as the basis for the colors that I'm going to add or have added to them in order to finish the quilts.   Now if only that would make it easier for me to figure out what to add to get the size that I needed.

Gratitudes:
1. The weekend is here.
2. Short work week coming up for Fall break!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And did you link to Miss Sophie? =) Starting with a focus is a good idea. The only thing I can think of with those bears is to remove the top one from the bottom one. That allows you to make more borders on top and bottom, and then add length to the middle strip so they match. Everything else I think of will not work to keep them off centered. You'll probably think of something, though!