After thinking about it for a while, I decided to put in the River Thames. And will be putting a little boat on it to represent the boat I was on for a river tour. However, putting in a river that winds through the quilt top in a similar manner to real life isn't something that can be done in a planned out, graphical manner. So I pulled fabric out for the water, and plopped it down on top of the quilt in roughly the direction I wanted the river to start flowing. Being brave and daring (or was that desperate because the dratted quilt wouldn't cooperate?), I took my scissors and started free-from cutting the river out being careful to not cut the towel and blocks that were underneath it.
What I ended up with is a meandering river that I'm happy with. The third pic here shows how the river looked right after cutting. To get the curves and turns in it that I wanted I'm going to have to use 3 different pieces of the blue. I'm planning on using a wee bit of fusible web underneath the river, and then just straight stitching the fabric down leaving the edges unstitched.
After cutting the river, I unbasted the blocks that were under the river and moved them out of the way. I will be putting pieced blocks in and around the river, but didn't want the flags or the silhouette block under the river. In playing with the layout this evening I've also decided that the quilt is demanding that not all blocks be placed at right angles to the tea towel. Hence the flag that is placed at an angle.
I think I'll be much happier (and have a much "quieter" quilt) if I don't leave the quilt as a plain rectangle. I may even end up cutting it and moving sections around a bit in the layout. Haven't thought about that for sure though.
1. I received word today that the conversion of my teaching license from initial practitioner to practitioner has been approved, which means I'll be eligible for a contract for next year.
2. the weather here has finally warmed up!