"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

"Say What?" Blog Hop - My Day

 This month I'm participating in the "Say What?" blog hop.   The prompt we were given for this hop were as follows:

"We have all heard that our quilts speak to us, so just what are they saying?"  

Share a story or show a project or technique that you can't believe you tried.   Or post about a quilty word project.

Here are the bloggers who are posting their projects today:

Wednesday April 19

 

Quilting Gail

Voormans Quilts

Quilted Delights

The Quilted Snail (me!)

Ms P Designs USA

Kathy's Kwilts and More

Last year I had seen a tutorial posted on Instagram here Pieced Circle Tutorial for an easy way of sewing pieced circles in a quilt block.  The method looked easy, so despite the fact that I've long sworn I wouldn't do pieced curves in my quilting (pieced enough curves when I was making clothes!) - note....that was wouldn't, not couldn't....LOL, I decided to try the method in the tutorial.  These blocks were the first ones that I made with the tutorial 

I wanted to expand on the technique and decided to make one large center medallion type block for the center of the quilt with multiple circles.   This is the result of my experimenting.  And yes, the circles are pieced and overlapping.  =)











And here are the small blocks and medallion that I have made so far.   I still need more blocks, but I need to decide on what size quilt I want to make (thinking large lap quilt), and then decide on layout.

Many years ago I was in a heart block swap with a a small group of quilt friends that I was a part of at that time.   One of my dearest friends made this beautifully embroidered block for me as a part of that swap.   Unfortunately, like so many of my swap blocks this has been sitting in a tote with the other blocks I received from that swap.   With part of the challenge for this blog hop being about words in your quilting, I decided it was time to pull this out and finish it up.   

Backing for the wall-hanging was from a piece of linen sent to me by the same friend who had made the block.  Seemed appropriate to use it here.
Gratitudes:
1.  For the procedure planned for my dad has been cancelled.

2. for the great group of people that I work with.










15 comments:

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Beautiful projects!

Calicojoan said...

I'm with you on a pieced circle. The though scares me, but I am going to check out that tutorial. Your quilted heart mini really speaks from the heart. Beautiful!

tink's mom said...

Your circles are wonderful. You are doing a great and creative job with them. The stitched block by your friend is beautiful, so glad this hop gave you the incentive to finish it. That's 1 of the best parts of these hops. So many of us use our collections to meet the challenges.

Charlene McCain said...

I love both of your projects! I'm not fond of trying to piece together medallions either, but you did a great job. Love the way you finished your UFO. Beautiful backing and border for such a sweet saying.

LJ said...

Love your circles; your creative side was showing. Glad to know that you finished a UFO. It's adorable (It's been waiting too long.) and the backing couldn't have been more perfect. Congrats.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I like your circle project! And your stitched piece is lovely. The backing is perfect.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects. Love the embroidery!

Carol Swift said...

Those circles are pieced? Wow...they look amazing! I don't think I would or could take that on. I love your embroidered block, too. So pretty!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your circle blocks look amazing. I have always wanted to try to make a quilt with circles. I just may have to give it a try. Such a sweet embroidery and finished perfectly.

Carla said...

Perfect curves! Great blocks.

Susan said...

What fun to see the progress the circles have made. That turned out to be a great tutorial for you, for sure! I really like the way you finished the embroidery block.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Wonderful projects. I really love the heart blocks - that's a perfect embroidery and great finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your circles AND your word-y UFO both turned out great! Thanks for the reminder, as I have been wanting to try that pieced circle method for quite some time. I keep making excuses NOT to get it done, too! Now I just need to start looking for a reason to STOP the procrastination like you did.

cityquilter grace said...

precious little finish with such words of wisdom...

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh I just love the heart embroidery! So sweet! xx