"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Call Me Crazy - My Day

 Welcome to the "Call Me Crazy" Blog hop.  

The theme this month is "Sew something that you wouldn't normally sew or share something you can't believe you sewed.  We all know that crazy and scary feeling of wondering what we were thinking when we started or were in the middle of sewing something out of our comfort zone."

Because I do a lot of commissioned work I often get asked to make many different projects.   Some of these projects get to be "interesting" for lack of a better word.   In 2022 I was asked to make 2 quilts for a girl who had just graduated from high school.  She had been on one of the competition level cheerleader teams for 8+ years.   

The first quilt was a t-shirt quilt.  That one was fairly simple, altho it did have it's moments where it became interesting.

The 2nd quilt, however, was another story altogether.  The second one the mom wanted made using her daughters competition outfits.  You may not have seen any of these up close, but they are made from a heavy weight 2-way stretch material.   Think of swimsuit fabric, but twice as heavy.    And they typically are heavily 'stoned' with lots of glued on rhinestones,

Yup, enough of a nightmare to make most people run for the hills when someone asks them to work with it....LOL.   Me, well I tend to have an attitude that says "I can figure it out".   And then drive myself crazy doing it, lol.

There were two requests for layout - there were 3 complete outfits to be featured, and the tops were to be features.   result was I used the front sections of the tops and outfits.   to make it lay flat, I ironed interfacing onto the back of the background fabric.   

Then just one outfit/top at a time started pinning pieces on and sewing them down.  That in itself was an interesting process with the many rhinestones on some of the items.

My customer loved the final outcome, so I'm happy with the project in spite of some of the headaches it gave me along the way.













Don't forget to check out what everyone else has posted today.

Wednesday August 23

 Den syende himmel

Just Sew Quilter

Ms P Designs USA

Quilted Snail

MooseStashQuilting Guest Post


Gratitudes:
1. For slowly making progress in getting estate matters wrapped up.

2. For past experience in embroidery, cross-stitch designing and quilting - I'm going to need it as I try to finish off some of the UFO's my Mama left for me to find.













15 comments:

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

That competition outfit quilt definitely looks challenging, but the result is crazy-awesome!

Calicojoan said...

Oh my goodness that is absolutely incredible. I know they had to be dancing with delight with the end results. Some days crazy is worth it in the long run! You rocked that mission in style!

Carol said...

That is quite the quilt. I'm not sure I would have taken it on, but it looks fantastic! It's so satisfying to accomplish something like that. Thanks for sharing!

Inflorescencedesigns said...

Beautiful project! I can imagine the craziness of stitching those heavily beaded/rhinestone pieces together. It looks amazing and I'm glad the recipient loves it.

Carol Swift said...

You are quite incredible (and crazy, of course) to take on that sequin quilt, Moira. I love your attitude on facing the challenge. It turned out really beautiful so way-to-go on putting it together! Having a little crazy in you proved to be quite creative on that one. Thanks for sharing!

Karrin Hurd said...

Those were crazy projects, and you handled them beautifully Moira!

Charlene McCain said...

You did such a fantastic job! You were certainly crazy to take this job on, but it turned out beautifully! Crazy maybe, but definitely talented!

sue s said...

You did a tremendous job on the cheer tops! Just WOW! I had enough trouble doing a t-shirt quilt for my daughter; can't imagine the other one. But you succeeded admirably.

Sharon said...

You are crazy-brave to accept that challenge, but it turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

Danice G said...

Two pretty quilts. The challenges are great, and you certainly met each one well. Great job!

LJ said...

Amazing quilt with all those outfits. YOU are definitely, certifiably "CRAZY". I would have told the mother to go jump in a lake; can not believe you said yes. Truly...crazy.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh wow, the competition outfit quilt was crazy to take on! You did an amazing job on it!!! Thanks so much for sharing xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, you are crazier than me. I would not have touched the costume pieces for fear of braking my beloved machine. I do a lot of t-shirt commissions and they can make you tear your hair out!

Raewyn said...

Gosh what a challenge but your finished quilt is gorgeous. I'm not surprised the customer was happy with the outcome.

Quilting Gail said...

The quilt looks fantastic! I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to tackle it! Good for you!
Quilting Gail