"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Fruit Cobbler is on the menu.....

........fruit cobbler themed potholders that is for several gifts this Christmas.    I started with the tutorial for making round pie shaped ones here and tweaked the pattern to fit what I wanted.

And in memory of my maternal Grandmother who made the most yummy peach cobbler (and because I didn't want to make round ones!) I'm making square and/or rectangular "fruit cobbler" ones instead of "fruit pie". 


Here are the basics of what I did - I am using the quilted, heat reflective ironing board cover for the bottom of the potholders.  Reflective side is placed outwards.  (Note: do NOT try to iron the back side of it or you'll end up with a mess on your iron....guess how I know that!!!)

Next layer is one of thinsulate which has a metallic, reflective layer in it. and finally on top of that is the fruit fabric.  I then cut strips of premade single fold bias binding for the pie lattice and pinned it on after weaving the strips. 



I stitched down both sides of all strips with a straight stitch.  And then rounded the corners to make it easier to sew the binding onto it.








Next up was sewing the binding on.  To do this make sure you sew the narrower of the two sides onto the back first, then when you turn it to the front and stitch it down (by machine) the  seam will be covered.




And here is the finished potholder.   This pair are 7" wide by 9" tall because that was all the fabric I had of this blueberry print.


And here is one of the apple print ones that I've finished.   There are two of these and they are 9" square.


Back side of the potholder with the hanging loop showing.  Diagonal lines are where the backing I used was quilted already.  Next up are more potholders with fabric of raspberries, cherries, more blueberries, and mixed berries.   And I've got someone who wants to order some as well.   I may need to invest in a bias tape maker if I do lots of these because the biggest cost is in the bias tapes when buying it ready made.


Gratitudes:
1. I've been offered a place to stay for part of my time in Phx, will be house/pet-sitting for church friends back there.  Gotta love my church family there.  Now to find a place for the rest of the days.

2. Weight has started dropping again....woohoo!


3 comments:

Susan said...

Good gratitudes, and cute potholders. What more could one want? =) I love what you did.

Quilty Constance said...

Awesome idea for presents! Love it.

Farm Quilter said...

How totally adorable!!! Why can't you just make a regular bias binding for the potholders?? If you go to JoAnn's, the bias tape makers are not expensive at all, especially if you use a coupon!! If I had known this 2 weeks ago, your box would have had the size you wanted in it!!