"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Friday, May 14, 2021

Scrap-Happy May 2021

 This past month was another one where I did not get a lot of sewing in at all, and most of what was done was on projects for others and not from scraps.

However, I did start cutting up this box of scraps I received a couple of yrs ago from friends.   Grandma V did a lot of sewing in her life and had collected scraps.   currently I'm cutting them up into 6", 3",  and 2" finished squares, and 2" finished strips that I'll put into multiple quilt tops later.   I plan to give the finished quilts back to the family in memory of their sweet Grandma V.



These this collection of blocks and squares came from the scraps of the shirts I used for 13 memory bears back in 2019.  I cut the sleeves, leftovers from the body, and the yokes to cut 6" and 3" finished squares.   I made the 4 patches from the smaller blocks and lots of 3" WOW squares that I'd cut yrs ago when dealing with scraps.     Shirt labels were included in the small blocks.   And the large ones have the sleeve plackets included in them.

I'm aiming to make 3 tops from this bunch of blocks and they'll be going to my niece who had ordered the bears made.

Click on the links below to see what everyone has done this month:

Gratitudes:
1. Safe travels to/from Phoenix as I dealt with getting probate started for part of my mom's estate

2. For unemployment starting to pay again


7 comments:

Susan said...

Two fun and scrappy projects - and lots of plaids!

Claire said...

a good idea to get your scraps pre-cut, so you can save time when you decide on what scrappy project to assemble ^^

Kate Chiconi said...

Sometimes ScrapHappiness lies in doing some solid prep work. I lack the focus and industry to do that stuff, and cut as I go (little bit lazy...)

Claire said...

Shirt plaids make really neat quilts! Good extension of memories.

tialys said...

*sigh* I wish I could be this organised. Every now and again I have a blitz on cutting scraps into useful sizes but I get bored with it after a while so never accumulate a useful amount of 'ready to use' scraps. My husband is just about to donate lots of excellent quality shirts to a charity shop as he already had far too many and now works mainly from home, as is the norm at the moment, and I'm not sure he'll ever have to go back into the office five days a week again. I really ought to do something with them but I probably won't.

rutigt said...

Lucky you, to have so much scraps given to you!

cityquilter grace said...

glad you are home again....and if not sewing then being busy with scraps...they can keep you busy for sure....me i'm recuperating from broken hip....