"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, March 18, 2024

Give it a Whirl Blog Hop - My Day

Welcome to the "Give it a Whirl" blog hop.   The challenge in this month's blog hop was: "Life can send us spinning sometimes, so let's put those spins and whirls to good use in a quilt.  Make something with pinwheel blocks, circle quilting, or whirly gigs.  Try not to whirl out of control."

This is my day to post and I'm looking forward to sharing my project with you.

For a while I've been working with sewing up my littlest scraps (things like strings, oddball squares, triangles, etc.) by sewing them to adding machine paper for stability in dealing with lots of wonky sides.   I started with dark blue first, and end up with over 1000 linear inches of dk blue pieced strips.   

I paired some of the made strips with some 6" unfinished HST's (the blue/cream), made the red HST's and cream tonal scraps to make this quilt top.   

The outer round of the blocks with the blue and cream form 2 interlocking pinwheels.   And overall, the blocks give the quilt a 3D look.

At this point the quilt top still needs a border, but I have not been able to figure out what to do.   Anyone have an idea?

Don't forget to go check out what everyone else has posted about today.


MARCH 18

 

Just Let Me Quilt

Quilted Snail

Pattern Princess

Days Filled With Joy

Quilted Delights

A Quiltery

Bumbleberry Stitches

Gratitudes:
1. Things are finally moving on the remediation work at the house, with cabinets and flooring finally being chosen

2. For the "quick" appointment at the ENT's office about the back-to-back sinus infections.

23 comments:

Calicojoan said...

I love playing with little pieces. It's amazing just what you can create from things that get tossed by most people. LOL!! I would go with a solid border of some kind I think and let the pieces be the star of the show. Glad to hear your home remediation is under way. Hopefully life can get back more normal for you soon.

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

How About a Double Border on your quilt? Very patriotic and beautiful!

Carol Swift said...

It's amazing how you created this with scraps. Wow...it looks beautiful! I'm not a scrappy quilter so I'm always in awe to see what people do with them. You "whirled" around and created a lovely quilt. Thank you for sharing!

Carol said...

Neat quilt! It really does look 3-D! I like the way you are using scraps too. I would do a narrow red inner border and then a blue outer border. Thanks for sharing!

Shirley said...

OH, I really like this! Illusion quilts will get me every time.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt Moira, great use of scraps!

Denise said...

The quilt may not be spinning but it sure makes your eyes think it is. Good luck on the remodel.

Quilting Gail said...

Great quilt! A suggestion for the border: use a neutral (or 4 of them as a small border then bind with a scrappy binding using the colours in the quilt. Happy Finishing!
quilting gail

Michelle said...

I love this HST blocks on a spin. The movement the quilt has so fun.

LJ said...

LJ here at bulltulip 69 at gmail dot com. I do like your quilt; it's wonderful that you're using so many scraps up. I'm rather partial to facing on quilts but if you want to have a border...perhaps you're scraps will talk to you. I think I'd add a small border (1" or smaller) in the ivory and then something else. Have you considered making a pieced border? Yeah, for using scraps!

Lyndsey said...

The quilt certainly has a 3D affect and I love the colours. Great idea.

Lyndsey said...

The quilt certainly has a 3D affect and I love the colours. Great idea.

Beth Strand said...

Beautiful!

Victoria Pietz said...

Well, I'm not sure what kind of border to suggest. I would think something to compliment the blue fabric. This is one of those quilts where my eyes look all around it to see the differences. Well done.

tink's mom said...

Beautiful quilt. I love what you did with the adding machine tape, I've used it but only as full straight strips. Cutting them up is genius.

Inflorescencedesigns said...

The quilt top is wonderful! I love how it plays with your eyes!

Sharon said...

Your scrap quilt is beautiful! Sometimes you have to just wait for the quilt to speak to you about what it needs for borders. Thanks for sharing.

cityquilter grace said...

pretty quilt moira...i too have been focusing on sewing up scraps..takes forever but making somewhat of a dent...

time4stitchn said...

What an optical illusion! But it has very pretty colors that look wonderful together. And good luck on both the gratitudes. I hope you have tried Flonase. It is a OTC inhaling medication that made a world of difference when I had sinus infections. And I do sympathize on the renovations. You will like it in the end.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

oh wow, you've done an amazing job with your scraps! I love how the quilt has turned out xx

Leah said...

Fun quilt, great way to use scraps.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is lovely! I really like the optical illusion in the quilt. I don't have any suggestions for the border, maybe you can just skip the border. Hope you feel better soon.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love this pattern and nice use of color. I would do a skinny red border and then a wider blue outer for a nice framing.