"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Tempted or Crazy?

I've been getting meals from a meal service for a couple of weeks now.  And the food arrives in an in insulated box with a couple of big freezer packs. 

The insulation for the second box was this stuff.  The hard to read print on the plastic encasing say that it is cotton and plant fibers.  It's about 3/4's of an inch thick and bends nicely.  The recycle instructions say to throw out the filler (the cotton/plant fiber) and recycle the plastic bag it's wrapped in. 

But I keep thinking that there has to be something that could be done with this stuff.  I've got two pieces of it.   Perhaps an insulated tote for groceries?  Don't know tho if I could sew through it to keep it from migrating and it definitely wouldn't be washable. 

Am I crazy to even think of trying to use this in some sort of a project?  Or should I just toss it out?


Gratitudes:

1. Got paid yesterday....finally!

2. Temps are below 90 degrees, altho still humid. 

4 comments:

Veronica said...

It doesn't hurt to try. I think the bag idea is worth a try.

Farm Quilter said...

I would give the bag idea a try. You could tack it down instead of quilting it to keep it from migrating. Since it would not be washable, I would use a fabric that could be wiped down when it got messy...oil cloth or something like that?? Pipe insulation? Fun to come up with new uses for things so we don't just add more to the garbage dumps. I sure wish someone would come up with an idea for me to use the Starbucks Frappuccino bottles I use!!

Angie&Gary Short said...

You could put it inside and leave a zipper opening to take out the "stuffing pack" to wash the bag.

desertskyquilts said...

Some good suggestions there! I don't think you're crazy. I gave mine to Paul to put under his sleeping bag when he was sleeping you-know-where. LOL They used to send it with huge ice packs - twice as big as the ones now, and without that kind of insulation - and I thought they'd make great things to put in coolers, so I've saved them in the freezer downstairs - comes in handy when I have to defrost my frostless freezer, too. =P