"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, January 15, 2018

New Binding Technique

I happened to see a new binding technique online this past weekend that looked interesting so I gave it a try.  (and no I didn't make a note of where the original idea was, just did my own thing for it)

Here are the basic steps that I did. 

Step 1 - Take the binding strip and a 45 degree cut on one end and press down a 1/4 or so seam allowance.


Step 2 - Fold in half and press binding.


Step 3 - Sew binding on, making sure to start the initial spot after the fold for the hem.  When finishing the final side, you will need to lay the end of the binding into the middle of the start of the binding.  Trim the binding so that it is about a 1/2" past where the hem fold is.


Step 4 -  Finish stitching the binding onto the quilt.   then with an invisible stitch, sew the folded hem down on the binding (both sides) before folding it over and stitching to the back.


Thoughts - It worked ok, but was bulkier than doing it the normal way, so for a normal quilt I probably won't use it.   However, it would be a good way to do binding on small items where it gets to be difficult to do a normally seamed binding.

Gratitudes:

1. A warm house with the frigid cold front that is coming through North TX tonite.

2. For the blessings of the food that God has provided me.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that. You know how much I love binding.