Dug out the remaining strips and chunks of reds that I had in various places and sewed them all together in strip sets. This meant first sorting them into piles that were approximately the same size. And then sewing them into bigger chunks of 'found' fabric. Final step has been to iron on wonder-under onto the back of all of them so that it can completely cool while I'm at church.
Original size of the strips ranged in length from about 4 inches to 9"inches for most of them. I used a few longer ones to join narrower sets together/wider.
I should end up with almost as many hearts as I did with the first set of strip sets. I won't need all of the hearts I'll be able to get from these for the commissioned quilt, so any extra hearts will end up being used for an American Heroes quilt at some point in the future.
As always when I'm sewing these kinds of scraps together I'm always amazed at how much "found" fabric there is once I get them sewn together. I love the movement in a quilt top that results when they are made into hearts, flowers or other shapes. And I love not having good (and expensive!) go to waste. With these strips finished, I've used all of the small strips and chunks of red in my stash. Next time I need some I'll have to cut some!
And that set of strips turned into this pile of 71 hearts in assorted sizes for applique. Given I only need 17 more blocks for the current quilt, I think I'll have more than enough for at least one more quilt after this....lol.
1. A bounty of scraps to work from and enjoy
2. A stash of wonder-under and stabilizer to use on the fly as needed for the various projects in process.