"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, July 16, 2018

6th Annual Piggy Bank Challenge

This year was the first year that I took part the annual piggy bank challenge that Val has been running.    And now that I'm a home owner, my budget is even tighter so that I can continue to pay off bills.   But so that I have money for fun stuff as well I'm going to work even harder to save money at the same time.   I'll be saving my change and also what ever I get in the way of $5 bills.

I have a lovely 23.75 ounce jar that I put my change in, the bills go into another container.   This will fill at least a couple of times through out the year and I'll take it to the bank and exchange it for bills.  I'm looking forward to seeing what my total is next year when we total everything up!

As for what I may use the money for, I'm hoping to take a trip to Scotland & England next year so it will most likely go towards that.

The artwork behind the jar is how I track where I am in paying off my debts.  I'm a visual learner so these really help keep my attention focused on the longterm plan without getting so distracted. 

If you are interested in signing up for the challenge, you can go here to read more about it and sign up.

Gratitudes:
1. Cooler temps here in N. TX today

2. Good traffic on the commute home today


3 comments:

Susan said...

You saved a lot this year, so I hope you do as well next year. That trip is looming closer!

Nancy in IN said...

We did this when we first got married except we saved the amount of change on pay check plus $10.00. It added up fast. It was to pay the insurance. My dad did this most of my life. He had a very large jar. Our sons always liked seeing this.
Best of luck.

Sherry said...

Good luck with your "penny pinching". I have been involved with Val's challenge for the past couple of years and have done really well.

I am hoping to do even better this year so that I have a good amount to use for a splurge for myself.

Just a question about your bill paying artwork, if you don't mind. Is each flower a specific item & the petals a specific dollar amount? I think it is a great idea. . especially for my husband who seems to "gloss over" how much money is going out the door. It drives me a little crazy since we are getting closer to retirement age and I am trying to get him to stick to a budget.

Have a wonderful day.