"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Rescued Quilts

One of the people I work with asked me if I'd like to have a couple of quilts that he had.   If I didn't, then he was considering donating them to a place like Goodwill.     I said I'd take them, because I know at some point I'll come across someone that needs a quilt or two.


 First quilt is a log cabin.   Done in blues, cream and red it is a queen-size.  Was pieced on the machine. 

The light blue is a fabric that I have in my stash as a remnant in an aqua coloring.  (Yes, that dates my stash.)

 Hand-quilted with teeny stitches that are about 16-18 per inch.   Poly batting in it from what I can tell. 
 Scrap quilt, again a queen size.   I've seen this block pattern before but am not sure of the name of it.

Hand-quilted as well.
 Close-up of two of the blocks.
A plaid flannel was used for the backing.   The binding was done in an interesting way - the backing was wrapped around to the front on the top and bottom.  The borders were wrapped to the back.  Both were sewn down by machine.

Both quilts are great condition.  Now to see what comes up and where I might use them.


Gratitudes:
1. For the opportunity to rescue a couple of quilts

2. For the wedding that I'm headed to this weekend and the time that I'll have with friends at it.

4 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

Moira, you are sooo lucky! Those quilts are very beautiful and would be wonderful in any room. The last quilt is called "VIRGINIA'S CHOICE". I made a pillow one time for a lady and I found the pattern very difficult. I ended up doing some of it by hand.

Susan said...

Hearts and Gizzards, I think? What wonderful finds. They are so nice, I can't imagine why he didn't want them. The log cabin would be a great American Hero Quilt, but it is a little large. However, Sue might be able to use it for a couple who lost a son or daughter. You could check with her. They are just great quilts!

barbara woods said...

A friend died and he son gave me two of her quilt tops, we are blessed! most people don't appreciate them

Joyce Carter said...

Moira, Susan is right. It is called Hearts and Gizzards today. I have the pattern in a very old book written by Georgia Bonesteel and Virginia's Choice is what she called it. That might have been the name back then. A lot of patterns are called by another name today. Or that could have been just something that she called it. I don't really know. But when I googled Hearts and Gizzards, that is the block that came up. I am very happy that you rescued those quilts. They are a real treasure.