"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, March 4, 2019

UFO Block Quilt Top


When I test out new block designs, whether for submission somewhere, a new quilt or for self-release, I always end up making a test block or two to make sure it all works ok.  And usually when doing that I use the same colors for them, such as red, white and blue, so that I can put them together in a sampler quilt at a later date.

Sometimes though I use a different color scheme because something catches my eye.   This was the case with the four blocks in this quilt.  All of the blocks were made at least 3 years ago but then had sat in a tote with nothing being done further.

In finishing the top, I used up as much of the leftover fabrics that I could in the piano key border, along with the HST's in the corner that had been leftover from one of the blocks. 

The quilt finished at roughly 39" square and at this point will be finished and donated to one of the groups for Hands2Help this year.   Even better this is one that won't end up as a UFO quilt top because it needs to be finished so I can donate it.  =)


The final strip set that I didn't use in the border, and all the leftover bits of strips were put into these two 12" blocks and they are destined to become snail shells for my quilt.








Gratitudes:

1. For friends at church who anonymously give gifts when they know that finances aren't as sound as they could be thanks to no pay at work (and yes they know me pretty well to do it anonymously because I'm horrible at accepting help)

2.  For the two new commissions that are coming in before I've got the current two (memory pillows/stockings and pants hemming) finished up.

2 comments:

Farm Quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt! Someone at the hospital will love it!! There are a couple of those blocks I'd like to learn how to make!! Can you figure out which ones??

Susan said...

I like the way the piano keys worked out. The other two blocks will be great in the snail quilt, and since there are two of them, that bright yellow will balance.