"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Friday, February 14, 2020

Scrap-Happy February 2020

I've been playing with my silk scraps lately as I have been working on a challenge quilt that needs to be finished by the end of February.

21 different ones had pieces cut and fusible webbing ironed on before I took and cut out stylized people/figures from them.














There were 50 something (i lost count of exactly how many) ironed onto the quilt top for my Stretching Art Challenge quilt for this year.  Other than using templates to trace the leaves, this has all been freehand - both cutting and placement.

All of the fabrics in the top except for the sky are from my scrap bins, and yes that includes the big pieces used to make the grass.

Close-up of the leaves at the base of the tree.  Still need to add two more leaves off to the right, but still need to cut those out of the extra scraps.

Gratitudes:
1. For safety in driving

2. For the steady stream of commissioned work this year

7 comments:

Kate Chiconi said...

It's lovely, a poetic and moving piece. Great use of scraps, too!

e said...

It's a great project. Well done !!

Susan said...

I like the piece and think it's perfectly balanced as it is, with no additions. This is another great entry, Moira. I'm so glad that you have been safe through all this bad weather and wet highways and accidents happening.

Farm Quilter said...

This is going to be beautiful!! How is silk different to work with when you are using fusible?

tialys said...

I love your 'people tree'. I guess it was quite difficult working with silk but it looks great.

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, I love this! It's going to be a beauty when you finish it. I'll be sending up my prayers for a timely completion for you. :-)

Sunny said...

wow, what a beautiful piece, and what a great use of scraps!