"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Stretching Art Challenge for 2020......frustrations

The theme of the 2020 challenge is "Community" and what it means to us.   I've been thinking about the theme and when I found this batik panel in my stash back in November I thought I might use it as the basis for my quilt.

The thought being I would embellish the quilt,  and extend it with piecing to reach the challenge size.
 My thoughts were to embellish the tail feathers of the two birds with embroidery and then bead the center of the flowers in the panel.   However, I've tried two different methods of embroidering the feathers and don't like the results on either one.

In addition, because the fabric is heavier than i normally work with it is very slow going and it took about 20 minutes to do just the little bit that is done.  Definitely don't have enough time to do this with everything else.

So I think this one is going to have to wait.

The hotel that I stayed in over night Friday had this motif in it and it struck a cord with me.   So I might use this as a starting point for something or go in a totally different direction.

Gratitudes:

1. Seeing lots of friends at church today

2. Beautiful weather here in phx

4 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

Moira, from what I can see of your design, I think it would look great with thread painting. You could use a variegated thread to get lots of color and doing it on the machine would be easier than by hand. I am sure it will be beautiful no matter what you do.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

The panel is gorgeous. I am sure you'll find a fantastic way to embellish it. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has found inspiration for projects and/or color palettes for projects in hotel decor...or anywhere decor for that matter. Whenever something catches my eye, I snap a picture. Happy sewing! -Andrea

Farm Quilter said...

That hotel has a great decor for inspiration!! I'm sorry you are having issues with your first choice for the quilt. That is definitely frustrating!

Susan said...

Thinner thread? Sharper needle? The carpet has a good foundation, though.