"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, September 10, 2018

Distractions......aka the Scrap Bin

Had to go to the quilt store to try to find fabric for blocks that I need to make for a block swap that I'm in right now.   Yes, for those of you who know what my stash is like, there are colors of fabrics that I don't have.   Hard to believe but it's true....lol.

These swap blocks have reminded me of that fact.  The requested colors were any shade of blue, and blush pink for the background, and no white/cream whatsoever in the blocks.  Pic's of the color scheme show a light blush/dusky pink.   And yup, guess what isn't in the stash......or available in the shops around here....sigh.  Finally found the pink in the top block at one shop.  Am hoping it is ok.  Second block - the pinks came from the scraps left after putting one of the UFO's together over the weekend.

In looking for a pink that will work this weekend, I made a trip to the quilt shop nearest me.  I did find a pink (the top one that I hope works), and 3 pieces for my blocks in the swap.  And then made a stop by their scrap bin. 

Sitting on top were some very large "scraps" which of course were pulled magnetically into my hands...lol.  Those bags are the same size as one quilt patterns are in, and yes they are carefully packed full and they could still be zipped shut.  =)  And they only cost $5 for as much as you can get into them.
This is the stack of what was in the middle bag in the bottom row above.  The creams added up to about 1/2 to 5/8's of a yard and were mainly width of fabric strips that were 5"-6" long.

The colorful stack underneath them - were all fat-eighths - 19 of them!  And nope that's not all of them that were in the bin, just all that I could get into the bag.

So I ended up getting almost 3 yards of fabric in the one bag for only $5.  Not a bad deal.


Gratitudes:
1. Relatively inexpensive fun in finding goodies at the shop

2. A job to go to, even when there are issues with payroll

2. Good coworkers

3 comments:

Suze said...

I think you are the master (or mistress) of finding scraps in the bin. The one place here that I know that does that has an old wringer washer with tiny strings at best. I think you might get 1/8" of fabric by the time you take a seam allowance on each side and they are short. The pieces look like where the end has been straightened on a very short piece for a kit. If you overlapped and appliqued the piece of fabric, you'd get a little more. It's not worth my time to look and I've always found the kits to be short and it's the customers fault. The customer did not cut the fabric in the correct order or something. It's amazing that most customers have the same issue with kits. They don't like customers that have perfectionistic tendencies. I enjoy seeing your finds. I would not have a blush pink and would have been tempted to put makeup blush on white fabric and call it good. Then play dumb when it flakes off or washes out. Just kidding. Thanks for sharing your swaps and your gratitudes.

Susan said...

Those two blocks are wonderful! Two words - cherry Kool-Aid dye. I love how much you stuffed in the bag and the wonderful colors you got. So did you buy all those bags shown on the mat?

Jo said...

My problem is a very disorganized storage system. I end up totally trashing all my bins looking for the required color. There has got to be a better way! I have to limit the impulse buying of more fabric.