"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, April 29, 2019

Riley Blake Challenge 2019

Back at the first of the year I signed up for a fabric challenge hosted by the Modern Quilt Guild.  The fabric for the challenge was supplied by the Riley Blake Designs fabric company.  And included 4 different prints, with at least 3 of them having to be in the final quilt.

The design for this quilt was inspired by one of the tiles in this picture.   A gal that hosts a block swap I've been in several times is using these tiles to create the back splash in the kitchen in her new house.    They are so tempting for me, but I really don't want to take down the tile already up in my kitchen...lol.

However, the tile on the very left end of the row that is standing up against the wall did prove to be inspiration for the Riley Blake Fabric challenge that the Modern Quilt Guild is hosting this spring.

I finished the quilt top this pass weekend and will be basting it this coming week so I can start on the quilting for it.  Working name is "Hot Plate" because the blocks remind me of the burners on my electric stove when they are hot.










All of the fabrics in the challenge quilt have to be from Riley Blake.  The one I'm planning on using for the backing is the top one shown in the pic to the right.   It is from their Sew Cherry 2 line of fabric I believe.

At the moment I'll either bind the quilt in more of the background fabric or the red used for the large circle in the blocks.   Am leaning towards the background fabric though unless I decide to buy something else.   I do have a navy/white 1/8th inch stripe (only an fat-8th) that I think would make a fun binding, but the fat-8th that I have isn't enough to do the binding. 

I'm tempted to buy enough to do the binding, but hate the thought of paying as much in shipping as the FQ I need would cost me.....so not worth it.   I might tho, piece enough strips to get a small flange for the quilt.  Will have to think about it.

Meanwhile, while I work on this to get it quilted I'll also be working to make two pillow shams that I've been asked to make for a friends DD to match the quilt that she had someone else make.  Those shams need to be back in Idaho by May 15th.

Gratitudes:

1. For not having to make the hourglass units for the shams, altho I do have to trim them from 3.75" to 3.5" unfinished.

2. For a knee and leg that did not give me fits this morning driving into work.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Yay for the leg improvement! And yay for the finish! And yay for a plan! Thanks for showing the inspiration. I like the tiles, too. I would have to get a different kind of stove unit. I have a regular stove, not a counter top. They are appealing, though.