"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Friday, April 26, 2019

UFO's - Cross-Stitch and CQ

A friend asked me this week where my CQ UFO's were..........well, I have three of them....and these are them.

The first one is this pile of what was to be the front piece on cross-body cell phone bags.  Have had them pieced for yrs, but have decided that I'll used them to make quilted postcards from.   Will trim them to 6:" square to use all that I can from the pieces. 

Probably won't do any embroidery on them, but I've got plenty of trims, beads, buttons, and other assorted items that I can use to embellish them.


This piece started with a piece of cross-stitch that I did years ago.   So it counts as a double UFO.....lol.   I added the vine (embroidered and beaded) several yrs ago and then couldn't figure out what to add next.  Fabric colors were laid out to give the impression of the sun in the upper left, sky along the top and upper right, and then grass/bushes and soil at the bottom and sides.

Still trying to figure out what to add next, but this is one that I do want to finish at some point.  Guess I need to do some searching online to see if I can find some ideas.   Any one got any good ideas of where to look for something more along the lines of motifs vs just seam treatments?
Close up of the kitten and the vine.
And then there are these 4 blocks.  The fabrics, well most of them, came from a CQ kit that I had been given years ago by a friend as part of an annual Christmas swap that I take part in.  I had bought the silky prints of the kittens and combined the two into these blocks.

I have laces, trims, beads and I'm not sure what all that also came with the kit.  The kit was put together by another quilting friend of mine.

The blocks have been made for years w/o me working any more on them.   I think part of the problem is that I don't normally work with pastel colors so that makes it really hard for me........

At this point I have no idea what I'm going to do with them....I do know I won't be making more blocks tho to go with them even tho I have more of the fabrics.....lol.

Gratitudes:
1. For having plenty of projects to work on so I can't claim to be bored.....lol.

2. For knowing who provides all things in spite of how it looks after not getting paid for 4 weeks.


1 comment:

Susan said...

You don't have to use pastel thread on the pastel blocks. Use something more vibrant - it will be fine. Use variegated, it will be fine. As far as places to look for motifs, try these:

Needle's Eye Stories
Super Mom No Cape - put embroidery in the search box and start scrolling backward to come to dozens of posts showing embroidery motifs you can download.
Green Spiral Herbs Then also search for more crazy quilt motifs - Betty Pillsbury's seldom used blog.

I thought you had Linda Causee's book?
An Encyclopedia of Crazy Quilt Stitches and Motifs Paperback – February 1, 1997

Put small embroidery motifs in dogpile.com, and some good ones come up, too. Or look on pinterest if you want a difficult maze.